Saturday, October 13, 2007

It's That Time of the Year Again, Part I

Yes, it's that time again when November rolls around, and the paparazzi have a field day with which actor/actress TVB has "chosen" to win the awards, and conjure up stories of catfights between the artists. Ah, what a pretty sight the annual TVB Anniversary Awards are.

But seriously, this is the most anticipated night in the TVB year. It's the night where the stars on the red carpet shine brighter than the stars in the sky. A night of glamour and glitz, the HK Oscars always promise jaw-dropping results. I, for one, have still not gotten over Kevin Cheng's win from last year.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here's what else happened last year. Charmaine Sheh bundled home two awards of Favourite Female Character and Best Actress, and not forgetting the honour of being the most talked about actress on chatterboxes throughout the TVB blogosphere for the following year. Kenneth Ma win Most Improved Male Actor in his rightful turn. Linda Chung, who was unbeknownst to me at that point in time, took home Most Improved Female in a very pretty white dress. One-eyed bandit, Steven Ma triumphed for his great portrayal of a character in Safe Guards. Kenny Wong proved that he could do something other than stand around and be topless by winning the Best Supporting Actor award, while Shirley Yeung took back the Best Supporting Actress award, strangely.

Gee, I wonder what surprises TVB has in store for us this year, then? Hopefully not too much.

TVB 40th Anniversary - Complete Nomination List

Best Actor

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1. Roger Kwok – Glittering Days
2. Bobby Au-Yeung –
Dicey Business
3. Joe Ma –
The Conquest
4. Ha Yu –
Heart Of Greed
5. Moses Chan –
Heart Of Greed
6. Michael Tse –
Family Link
7. Michael Tao –
On The First Beat
8. Ron Ng –
On The First Beat
9. Sammul Chan –
On The First Beat
10. Sunny Chan –
Green Grass Of Home
11. Kevin Cheng –
Devil's Disciples
12. Bosco Wong –
Devil's Disciples
13. Damien Lau –
Drive Of Life
14. Michael Miu –
Drive Of Life
15. Raymond Lam –
Drive Of Life
16. Wong Hei –
Fathers & Sons
17. Steven Ma –
Steps
18. Wayne Lai -
Steps
19. Dayo Wong –
Men Don't Cry
20. Yuen Biao –
The Ultimate Crime Fighter

First and foremost, as much as I sincerely love Roger Kwok, I hope he doesn't win again. I didn't watch Glittering Days and have no idea how it went, but no, he's already got it twice. I doubt he'd win a third time. I feel Michael Miu should've been nominated for Dicey Business instead of Drive of Life, and for goodness sake, Kevin in Devil's Disciples? I was hoping he'd have been nominated for Ultimate Crime Fighter instead, since from what I've heard of the character, it'll be a better shot of showcasing his acting skills. And wow, Wayne Lai in the Best Actor nominations? I think he's great, and that he deserves to win something because he just delivers again and again, but I'd much rather TVB nominate him in the Supporting category just because he'll have a better shot at it. Because sadly, this nomination is all he's getting this year and that sucks.

My favourites?



Bobby Au-Yeung –
Dicey Business, Moses Chan – Heart Of Greed, Damien Lau – Drive Of Life, Michael Miu – Drive Of Life, Raymond Lam – Drive Of Life, Wong Hei – Fathers & Sons, Steven Ma – Steps

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Damien Lau, Michael Miu and Ha Yu were classic in their respective roles, but somehow if memory serves me correctly, male veterans don't get very lucky with Best Actor Awards. Ex-manly-Burning Flame-lead, Wong Hei was hilarious as his house-husband, motherly role, while Steven Ma shone in a very relate-able role. And Raymond, well, I still stand by my opinion that he's the most talented out of all the young actors. He emotes so well.



Who I think should win?

Obviously, I think Moses should. He played a character that you would either love or hate. Most loved him. I know I did. He made me laugh and cry and hope and root for him all at the same time. He was hilarious in his funny moments and emitted a bittersweet, tragic look when he cried. To me, he was the character. He put his heart and soul into it, and gave the character growth and gradual maturity. And that's why I think he should win. That's why I think he deserves to win.

Who I think will win?

I hope I'm not jinxing anything when I say I really think it's Moses' year this year. I just think so. Keep those fingers crossed!

*

Best Actress

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1. Liza Wang - Glittering Days
2. Charmaine Sheh - Glittering Days
3. Jessica Hsuan - Dicey Business
4. Tavia Yeung - Dicey Business
5. Michelle Yim - The Brink Of Law
6. Shirley Yeung - The Brink Of Law
7. Myolie Wu - War And Destiny
8. Lee Sze Kei - Heart Of Greed
9. Susanna Kwan - Heart Of Greed
10. Linda Chung - Heart Of Greed
11. Sheren Tang - Family Link
12. Kiki Sheung - Family Link
13. Sonija Kwok - On The First Beat
14. Christine Ng - The Green Grass Of Home
15. Sharon Chan - Devil’s Disciples
16. Bernice Liu - Steps
17. Kate Tsui - Steps
18. Cecilia Yip - Men Don’t Cry
19. Yoyo Mung - The Ultimate Crime Fighter
20. Gigi Lai - The Ultimate Crime Fighter


I don't see how you can give someone an award based on a show that has only aired halfway through, so I hope neither Yoyo or Gigi gets the award, as good as the Ultimate Crime Fighter might be. I have nothing against them, but I just really never saw the point of letting half a show be contested. It's like letting half a song win a Grammy Award. I'm actually rather surprised that Kate, although showing improvement, was nominated over Esther Kwan.

My favourites?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Jessica Hsuan - Dicey Business, Tavia Yeung - Dicey Business, Michelle Yim - The Brink Of Law, Lee Sze Kei - Heart Of Greed, Susanna Kwan - Heart Of Greed, Bernice Liu - Steps

Bernice has no chance whatsoever of winning Best Actress, but she's just a personal favourite of mine. Tavia did fantastic in Dicey Business, the role which changed her career and her life, but unfortunately she's up against such big guns. Jessica was great as usual. But...

Who I think should win?

I actually really want Michelle Yim to win. She was brilliant in Brink of Law as the cunning Sung Kam Chi - her glare practically shot daggers. And later, she was awesome in a complete 180 as the strong, yet worldly Auntie Lei in Heart of Greed. However, Susanna Kwan was also exceptional in Heart of Greed as the greedy Wong Sau Kam. I honestly wanted to slap her; that's just how good she was. I also heard she was the complete opposite in Glittering Days, but still as convincing. I must be one of the few who is rooting for Susanna over Lee Sze Kei.

Who I think will win?

The press is making it a showdown between Lee Sze Kei and Susanna Kwan and I think it's going to Lee Sze Kei. Her status at TVB gives her a huge edge over Susanna and it's obvious everybody respects her a lot. She did a good job, but it's just that I felt more emotion from the other two veterans.

*

Best Supporting Actor

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1. Paul Chun – Glittering Days
2. Benz Hui – Dicey Business
3. Power Chan – The Conquest
4. Ngoh Wah – The Brink Of Law
5. Law Lok Lam – The Brink Of Law
6. Jack Wu – Ten Brothers
7. Chui Wing – Best Selling Secrets
8. Wong Cho Lam - Best Selling Secrets
9. Stephen Au - Best Selling Secrets
10. Lau Dan – War And Destiny
11. Sek Sau – War And Destiny
12. Evergreen Mak – Life Art
13. Chris Lai – Heart Of Greed
14. Louis Yuen – Heart Of Greed
15. Kenneth Ma – Family Link
16. Derek Kwok – Family Link
17. Al Wei – Family Link
18. Johnson Lee - Devil's Disciples
19. Ng Wai Kwok – Drive Of Life
20. Bryan Leung – The Ultimate Crime Fighter

I don't know about you, but I actually don't think Ngoh Wah or Ng Wai Kwok did very good jobs. I actually felt like fast-forwarding through their scenes and am not a fan of either of their performances. Again, I wish Wayne was nominated in this category instead. He'd get my vote, hands down. I'm actually surprised Chris Lai was nominated. Bosco, in my opinion was more supporting actor in Heart of Greed rather than lead, and should have been nominated instead of Chris. Didn't watch The Conquest, but heard Power Chan did awesome as he usually does.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My favourites?

Benz Hui - Dicey Business,
Law Lok Lam – The Brink Of Law, Wong Cho Lam - Best Selling Secrets, Louis Yuen – Heart Of Greed, Derek Kwok – Family Link

I've only watched clips of Best Selling Secrets, but if his performance in Heavenly In-Laws is anything to go by, I hope Wong Cho Lam is in the top five. His deadpan expressions just crack me up. I thought Law Lok Lam was likeable in his role in Brink of Law, but probably not enough for TVB to put him in the final five. Didn't watch Family Link, but it's about damn time the underrated Derek Kwok is recognised for something that he does.

Who I think should win?

I've always loved watching Benz Hui but his role in Dicey Business brought it to a whole new dimension for me. He was just classic in his sidekick, camp-ish role in Dicey Business. He was so loveable and while I felt his character's death was necessary for the plot, that didn't stop me from crying when he died because it was such a shame. Every 'Honey' and 'Baby' he uttered while referring to Michael and Bobby made me giggle.

Who I think will win?

I think it's between Louis Yuen and Benz Hui, but Benz to prevail in the end.

*

Best Supporting Actress

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1. Halina Tam - Glittering Days
2. Yoyo Chen - Best Selling Secrets
3. Mimi Lo - The Change Of Destiny
4. Leila Tong - Family Link
5. Florence Kwok - On The First Beat
6. Gigi Wong - Drive Of Life
7. Toby Leung - Drive Of Life
8. Mary Hon Ma Li - Fathers And Sons
9. Fala Chen - Steps
10. Claire Yiu - Steps
11. Charmaine Li -Men Don’t Cry
12. Natalie Tong - The Ultimate Crime Fighter


Yoyo Chen, Charmaine Li, Toby Leung and Natalie Tong? I hope they don't pull a Shirley Yeung and take home this year's Best Supporting Actress. They're still too young and still too new at TVB. I do like Yoyo and Natalie, but maybe in five year's time it'll be their time?

Oh and also, why are there so many more Best Supporting Actor nominations than there are Best Supporting Actress? How...sexist. Lol.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My favourites?

Leila Tong - Family Link, Florence Kwok - On the First Beat, Mary Hon - Fathers and Sons, Claire Yiu - Steps

I didn't watch Leila and Florence in their respective nominated roles, but I like them both and think they deserve to win something. Sadly, it's been awhile since TVB made good deserving choices, so I don't know. Hopefully they prove me wrong this year.




Who I think should win?

Goodness, for some reason, this feels even tougher than the Best Actress Award. Lol. Claire Yiu did a great job, I felt. It's the first time I've connected with her on-screen. Her Yau Lam Lam was very simple, yet likeable. Mary Hon has always been fabulous in every role she plays. She's been a very dependable supporting actress throughout the years and can always be counted upon for solid performances. My vote goes to either one of them.


Who I think will win?

For some reason, I think it's going to be Gigi Wong. Just a random prediction.

*

I've never been very good at predictions but that was just for a bit of fun. We'll see if my luck has gotten any better over the years! Haha. Second half of the nominations and my picks coming up another day.

[You've seen my picks - now why don't you tell me yours? Remember to vote in the 1st Annual "Glaze-Over of TVB" Awards by clicking HERE.]

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home